10 years since last post and smartphone addiction!

Mood: Amused

10 long years, wow ! That's a lot isn't it. But it feels just yesterday where I was making an attempt to scribble something. A lot of things changed in the world in last 10 years but the core inside me remains the same but surrounded by a wealth of knowledge, maturity & experience.

Wonder who even reads a blog these days apart from those facebook and linkedin posts. This cold corner is all about me, mythoughts & myspace.

So why I am here in the blogger after 10 long years? 
Well, I always wanted to come back to this space and was contemplating it for last several months if not years but life has been keeping me busy! But when I actually analysed a bit deeper, its the smartphone which is keeping me busy 24*7. Thanks to Apple's "screen time" iOS update which made me to realise how deeply I have integrated myself to the phone and I wanted to come out. Hundreds of apps in the phone + my passion (or rather addiction) to digitally record myself in various activities made me to consume way too much screen time than I wanted. Wish there is a phone which just allow me to use it to make a call or receive a call (Yes - That's called landline!)

Before I touch base on the smartphone addiction, how was the last 10 years?
I was pondering upon it a while and its not all about smartphones. I am quite happy with how it turned out. A lot of new things with some failures and some success and few grand success. All in all a fantastic package. Top 10 items in this list are (not ranked in any order):

~Visited several asian countries - Each giving a perspective of people, culture, humanity and history

~Started playing badminton - It has become a way of life recently. What a sport! Never ever got addicted so much to a sport other than cricket

~Table Tennis, Squash, Snooker , Bowling - Some add on's as a side dish along with badminton

~Failed attempt on a music instrument
          - Guitar: One of those random walk in the evening to a music shop, saw 5-10 year old kids playing guitar and was an instant buy to get a guitar home only to realise it's not my cup of tea!
          - Violin: Big fan of this music instrument tried to learn it for may be around 6 months but gave up!
          - Handpan Tongue drum: It's sound is a healing and soothing to the mind. Came across a tourist playing it as a street performance. Googled about it, tried to learn about it and finally bought one to play around for few days and now in cold storage!

~Failed attempt to learn Cantonese -  Spent about 50 hours/10 weekends to learn but I don't have it in me to learn it for now. Parked for some other time :)

~Learnt photography - Spent hundreds of hours in net and meetups +  spending several $'s on equipments to learn photography. At one point of time I was so damn addicted to it, used to backpacker with camera kit on weekend clicking in remote part of islands, hills, sea side, gardens, wetlands. Used to getup at 3am to reach the vantage sunrise points to get the best shots & best views. (more about it in another blog)

~Postcrosser - Postcrossing is a project where one can send & receive handwritten postcards to the people of the world. In this digital age it is a fantastic experiment to connect the world with this. Do search for it online to know more. Give it a try!

~Political science -  A much better understanding of world politics specially India, USA and middle east. Ideologies, policies, history and more.

~ Foodie - Continuing to explore myself as a foodie and the chef within me. Yes -  I am proud of some of the dishes I make ;)

~ Continuing my age old hobby of stamp & coin collection - This stopped for a while but luckily picked up again thanks to Postcrossing as well

Back to Smartphone addiction

Fantastic invention by Steve Jobs but it could invade your own life if you don't know where and when to stop. It's been a while I was trying to stop myself using it with several attempts to disassociate myself from it. It is a pity to see almost 95% of people of all ages hooked to the smartphone whenever I travel in trains, trams, buses & ferries.

It is all about developing healthy digital habits with some basic rules.

~Disconnect digitally to connect with Nature - Simply keep your phone away, shut it, lock it, keep it inside when you go out to visit a place, meal out with friends and family. The world look so beautiful again. It is OKAY not to "check-in" every meal you eat outside or every place you visit.

~Delete those apps which you use the most - With Apple's screentime feature it comes with lot of data & analytics about your digital behaviour. A have deleted several those apps where I consume the most. I still can't go offline in whatsapp in iOS thus I just stop using phone at times

~Delink work stuff from phone - Try to have a separate work phone or don't activate BYOD or avoid linking work emails to your smartphones.

~No Phone days - Try couple of days in a week as no phone days. Not easy but it may work well for you. Ex: Every Wednesday & Sunday

~Buy an Apple watch  - Latest version of watch comes with cellular connection thus you can keep your phone at home but still be able to be guided by watch for some core functionality like calling, GPS, fitness record, music etc. It is a a great way to get disconnected from phone itself

~No Phone to bedrooms - Follow this strictly, buy a digital clock for the alarm read some books before you sleep than browsing/checking on messages in phone

Well, I am not a master by implementing ALL of the above in my life but I am trying, some of them are being done, few are in the process :)

Let me know if you have any other suggestions....

Bdw, It's is 25th Dec - Wish you all Merry Christmas. HO HO HO!

Mood: Liberated

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Friend ASIMO:)

Delhi Hights!

My musings on the universe!